Personal Injury On Business Property

If you slip and trip or injure yourself in any way while you are in a store, hotel, restaurant or theatre, you may be entitled to claim compensation for a personal injury on a business property.

The Law Regarding Business Property

Anyone who owns or occupies a business property that allows entry to members of the public must ensure that they put proper precautionary measures in place to protect their visitors or customers. If they fail to take steps to make the place safe for visitors and you are injured as a result of this neglect, they are liable to compensate you for your pain and suffering.

Kinds Of Accidents That Can Be Claimed For

Causes of personal injuries on business property you can claim for include but are not limited to:

  • Slippery floors
  • Fragile or broken furniture
  • Uneven walking surfaces
  • Cracked floors or torn carpets
  • Unsafe furnishings
  • Exposed electrical cables

No matter what the direct cause, if there was something that the business owner could have done to prevent the accident but failed to do so, then you may have sufficient cause to file a personal injury compensation claim.

What You Need To Do Immediately After A Personal Injury On A Business Property

In order to file a successful claim for compensation, there are a few things you should do immediately after any accident on a business property:

  • Report the incident

    – It is important to file a written report of the incident with the manager of the premises. This is most important so there is a record of the incident, which makes it difficult for the business owner to later deny that it ever took place. Keep a copy of the report. You will need it when you are filing your claim.

  • Get photographs of the scene

    – Photographs of the scene will act as visual proof of what caused you to get injured, whether it was a wet floor, uneven surface or broken furniture.

  • Get contact details of witnesses to the incident

    – Witnesses can help corroborate your story and strengthen your case. Getting contact details of all others around who witnessed the incident is a good idea just in case you need them to provide a statement during the litigation.

  • Seek medical help

    – It is always advisable to seek medical attention after an accident so that you can receive timely treatment for your injuries.

  • Keep a record of all medical and other expenses

    – All businesses are required to have liability insurance, which is meant to cover at least part of your medical expenses, irrespective of fault. If the business owner refuses to pay, you should consult a personal injury solicitor and file a compensation claim.

    In addition to medical bills also keep a record of all other expenses related to the injury and treatment such as travel bills and other miscellaneous expenditure.

Business Property InjuryIf your injuries prevent you from returning to work for a significant amount of time and you are forced to go on leave without pay, you are also entitled to claim for loss of salary.

You’ve Got All Your Records And Reports In Place – What Next?

After you’ve got the necessary photographs, filed a report and got your injuries attended to, the next thing you need to do is hire an experienced personal injury solicitor to represent you. A claim such as this is not something you should realistically hope to win on your own. Business owners usually have their own legal team representing them and unless you are very conversant with the personal injury act, you will likely find yourself fighting a losing battle.

If you are worried about the financial implications of hiring an attorney, this should not be a cause for concern. Most personal injury solicitors represent injured parties under the No Win No Fee agreement. Under the terms of this agreement, they will take up your case without charging you any upfront fees. You will only be required to pay a small percentage of the legal fees if and only if your case is successful and after you receive the compensation amount in your bank account. The major portion of the legal fees will have to be borne by the business owner. You can find out more of what No Win No Fee means on this page.

In the UK, all personal injury claims have to be filed within 3 years of the accident. While that may seem like a long way away, getting the formalities together can take time so it is important to seek legal advice at the earliest.

Request a Callback

*Any details submitted are solely used to handle your enquiry.

Request a Callback

Your Name: (required)

Your Email:

Your Telephone No.: (required)

Best time to call: